510 South Dewey Avenue
Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright
The Price Tower is a nineteen-story high-rise building in downtown Bartlesville. When it was built in 1956, it was the tallest building in the small town, which had no other tall structures. It was commissioned by Harold Price for his oil pipeline business. The building has a central core composed of four elevator shafts, anchored by a treelike central structure embedded in the concrete. Each of the floors is cantilevered from this core, like the branches of a tree. Wright’s concept of a tower has its origins in an earlier design of the 1920s for a high rise in New York City—St. Marks-in-the-Bowery, which was never built. Wright designed all the furniture for the Price Tower, which was integral to the building's architecture. The Price Tower was a multi-use building with offices and apartments, and it has since been restored with a hotel in place of the offices and the Price Tower Arts Center museum on the ground floor.
The design of the tower and its furnishings is based on a diamond modular of 30- and 60-degree angles. This copper table was designed for the Price Tower. Versions of this copper table were made for the Price Tower’s sixteenth-floor dining area and for the H. C. Price Jr. House, also in Bartlesville.
Frank Lloyd Wright
21 × 40 × 27 in. (53.3 × 101.6 × 68.6 cm)