Richard Lloyd Jones House

3700 South Birmingham Avenue
Tulsa, Oklahoma

Completed 1929

Designed by Frank Lloyd Wright

Picture5.png

Frank Lloyd Wright was a cousin to Richard Lloyd Jones, founder of the Tulsa Tribune newspaper, whose family was from Spring Green, Wisconsin. Jenkin Lloyd Jones, father of Richard and uncle of Wright, was a well-known Unitarian minister. Richard’s daughter recalled that the project inspired a lot of disagreement between the two cousins, but that the house was ultimately completed to the great satisfaction of both. The house is a textile-block construction related to the concrete block houses Wright designed in the Los Angeles area in the 1910s–1920s that replaced his prairie-style houses of the first decade of the century. Wright explored the beauty of the common, inexpensive concrete block, held together by metal rods, allowing patterned and textured surfaces. Originally stark in its setting, the house now has trees and plantings around it, providing a more protected appearance. This house is privately owned, but you can easily see portions of the exterior from the street.